Sunday, November 1, 2009

Grateful For New York

Having been away from New York has been a bit of a struggle for a New Yorker who is used to the convenience of cheap but good food. As I may have mentioned in a previous post, when there isn't the population density to support that many restaurants, restaurant choice, convenience, and value tends to suffer. You could not imagine my happiness when my bus pulled into Manhattan going down Lexington Avenue from Harlem all the way down through the East Side and finally toward Fashion Avenue. It was visual confirmation of all that is right about the New York food scene, namely its diversity of restaurants, population and vitality. There were plenty of places that were open at 11 p.m. and diners in nearly every one of them. I could not imagine a better place for a fan of food in the U.S.

My hope for the future of New York restaurants is the continued availability of restaurants that recognize the needs of recession-battered customers. I have read that in many parts of New York, restauranteurs are doing just that and are adjusting their menus, offering daily specials, and reduced priced dinners, thus continuing my appreciation of our restaurant scene. Let's keep it going!

1 comment:

  1. I'm dying to go to New York for the food experience. Good cheep eats is what I'm all about!

    ReplyDelete